WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by! Here I wrote openly about my life as a mommy to our miracle daughter Lilly, the struggles we went through on this journey to parenthood, the loss of our precious son and pretty much anything else that comes up. Feel free to look around, leave a comment or two, put your feet up and get comfortable :)

xo, Anne.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Information on Hysteroscalpingography (HSG)

On Thursday I'll be heading to the hospital to meet with my ob/gyn for my HSG procedure, but before that I wanted to post a bit of information about the HSG exam; if I feel to add anything when I get home on Thursday I'll edit accordingly. Remember that I am not a doctor and that all the information below is in my own words (or opinions) with the information provided to me from my ob/gyn. I hope that this post, and ones like this to come, will help calm the nerves of someone like me. Always discuss your questions and concerns with your health care provider.


. . . .


An HSG exam is an X-ray procedure that is used to diagnose problems with the fallopian tubes and the uterus. In most cases it is used to find if a woman's tubes are partly or fully blocked, it can also show if the inside of the uterus is both a normal shape and size.

The procedure can be done in a clinic, your health care provider's office or, like me, at the hospital. Since the HSG exam is not safe if a woman is pregnant your doctor will want to book it during the first half of your cycle to reduce such chances ~ since I have irregular cycles my ob/gyn had me take a pregnancy test, if you are unsure don't hesitate to ask, you're better safe then sorry. HSG will also not be done if a woman has a pelvic infection or heavy uterine bleeding at the time. You may be recommended to take over-the-counter pain relief an hour before the procedure and in some scenarios you may also be prescribed an antibiotic to take before the exam to prevent an infection. You may feel anxious or nervous, this is going to sound ridiculous coming from me (a self proclaimed Queen of Worry) but try to relax and keep your mind calm, it is not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Overall it is a rather simple procedure and takes about a half-hour (give and take of course). The set up is similar to your regular pelvic exam but your doctor will then proceed to inject a liquid into the uterus through a tube or cannula. As the liquid moves through the uterus and into the fallopian tubes X-ray images will be taken. Once the images have been made you will be cleaned up and allowed to go, your health care provider will be able to show you your images and explain your results.

After the procedure you can expect to have a bit of sticky vaginal discharge since some of the fluid will drain out of the uterus (while some may also be absorbed into the body) it may be tinged with blood so it is probably a good idea to wear a pad ~ although tampons are not recommended. You may experience small amounts of vaginal bleeding, cramps and/or feeling dizzy, faint or sick to your stomach. If possible, try to make yourself comfortable and relaxed.

The Risks:
Severe complications from an HSG are rare; an allergic reaction which your doctor will detect right away, injury to the uterus or a pelvic infection. If you experience vomiting, fainting, foul smelling discharge, severe abdominal cramping/pain, heavy vaginal bleeding, fever or chills – contact your health care provider immediately.

The Benefits:
First and foremost, the results from the HSG will help give your health care provider a greater chance at determining the right route for you to take in your journey to having a baby. A lot of women express that the first cycle following the HSG procedure is more fertile, the reasoning behind this is because the fluid used during the procedure helps clean out the uterus. This same liquid may also help clear a blockage in the fallopian tube(s) provided the right circumstances of course.

There are other options available that may suite your needs better then the HSG procedure, make sure to discuss such things with your health care provider.








Please note, as mentioned above all information is in my own words (or opinions) based off the information provided to me from my ob/gyn. I am in no way a doctor but hope that what information I relay here will help calm the nerves of someone like me. Always discuss your questions or concerns with your doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment