WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by! Here I wrote openly about my life as a mommy to our miracle daughter Lilly, the struggles we went through on this journey to parenthood, the loss of our precious son and pretty much anything else that comes up. Feel free to look around, leave a comment or two, put your feet up and get comfortable :)

xo, Anne.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Information on Clomid (or clomiphene citrate)

Similar to my last info-post, everything here is written in my own words using the information my obstetrician (and pharmacy in this case) have provided me. My intention with these kinds of entries is to, hopefully, help people who are coming into these things have a better understanding as to what they are. Always discuss your questions and concerns with your health care provider.

. . . .


Clomiphene citrate or Clomid, is used as a fertility medicine for women who unable to get pregnant on their own due to some sort of dysfunction of ovulation. Clomid works by increasing the release of hormones from the pituitary gland which prepares your body for pregnancy and causes ovulation to occur. It takes several days before it will take effect, which is why most patients will be instructed to start taking Clomid during their menstrual cycle (usually on day three or day five) and continue for the next five days, in my case I start on day three of my cycle and carry on to my seventh taking the small pill at the same time each day just as I was instructed.

There is a small but none-the-less increased chance of a multiple birth if you do become pregnant while using Clomid, it wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss the possibility with your partner and family members in the off-chance that a multiple birth occurs.

As your body adjusts to taking Clomid you may find yourself experiencing hot flashes, dizziness or light-headedness, feelings of depression, nausea or vomiting, an increase in nervous tension or trouble sleeping, breast discomfort, fatigue and even a lighter or heavier menstrual flow. It is always a good idea to take note of these and let your health care provider know if they continue or become worse.

There are several side effects associated with the use of Clomid, aside from the intended effects some women may experience the following reactions to Clomid, make sure you check with your doctor right away if any of the below occur:
-bloating
-develop a rash
-pelvic or stomach pain
-blurred vision or seeing flashes of light (or other visual problems)

As a precaution let your doctor know if you have had an allergic reaction to Clomiphene (or Clomid), suspect you may be pregnant or have a cyst on your ovary, liver disease, fibroid tumours of the womb, unusual vaginal bleeding or even a history of depression. Always discuss any questions or concerns with your health care provider.








Please note, as mentioned above all information is in my own words (or opinions) based off the information provided to me from my ob/gyn. I am in no way a doctor but hope that what information I relay here will help calm the nerves of someone like me. Always discuss your questions or concerns with your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment