WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by! Here I wrote openly about my life as a mommy to our miracle daughter Lilly, the struggles we went through on this journey to parenthood, the loss of our precious son and pretty much anything else that comes up. Feel free to look around, leave a comment or two, put your feet up and get comfortable :)

xo, Anne.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The NT Screening (Part 1: the test and results)

I have had two early ultrasounds leading up to this one; one in the emergency room at 5weeks and a perfect dating/confirmation ultrasound at 8weeks but seeing our baby at 12weeks took the cake thus far.

In my first pregnancy, my only one without the high risk label, my first ultrasound was at 12 weeks but it wasn't for the big screening they do now, instead it was for confirmation and dating purposes and what a beautiful ultrasound that was.

Genetic screening was previously reserved for "at risk" mothers, although I don't believe that it was as easy and risk free as it is now. Now, all expecting mother's are offered something called the First Trimester Combined Screening (FTS) which is a voluntary screening that simply assesses the risk of genetic abnormality. This screening takes the mother's age and details on her present pregnancy, conception, any previous pregnancies and family history then combines that information with the results from blood work and a teeny-tiny measurement of the fluid behind the baby's neck during an ultrasound that little measurement is called the Nuchal Translucency measurement (NT) and is typically done between 11weeks and 13weeks6days of pregnancy. From what our technician told us, these measurements and numbers are found in all pregnant women and each woman's normal is different than another but typically a high measurement can indicate a chromosome condition or birth defect. When combined together they can provide a risk assessment, with which you and your doctor can then decide if pursuing additional testing is necessary which can be more invasive and risky. This is a personal choice and a positive result still has the likelihood of a healthy baby just as a negative result cannot guarantee a healthy baby, this is just to give parents and their medical team the ability to decide if further screening is necessary. There is a background risk given, based on maternal age and an adjusted risk given after reviewing and putting together all the information gathered.

When my ob offered this screening (both in my last pregnancy and with this rainbow baby) I talked to him as well as my husband about this screening, and spent a lot of time weighing the risk and results. Since it is non-invasive there is no risk to the baby but I knew that a positive result would cause me to worry even if I knew that the likelihood was still in our favor. I also knew right away that even with a diagnosis of any chromosome abnormality that I would never abort our baby (I hold no judgement to parents left facing a diagnosis which is "incompatible with life") but with all we have been through, providing no risk to me or suffering to our baby - I see no reason to end my baby's life especially if only to possibly save me from pain. I've had to say goodbye to my full term, perfectly healthy son and although I pray to never have to go through that pain again I know that I would rather that than choosing to end their life. Not to mention you do hear of beautiful happy endings despite poor prenatal diagnosis and I just couldn't live with the what if's.

I knew that even if there was a positive result, after crying my guts out and worrying ridiculously, that we would be able to mentally and emotionally prepare. We would be able to learn about it and prepare ourselves, our parenting and our life styles to better suit our child's possible needs. I like feeling prepared, I also liked that we would be able to find out if our baby was developing properly and it didn't hurt to get another chance to see our precious baby.

So we agreed to get the screening done and are so blessed with our results.

We were able to confirm that our precious baby is developing just as he or she should; both hands and feet, arms and legs are seen. Heart activity is present and at a rate of 163bpm. Baby's skull, brain, and abdomen are visible and appear to be normal as well as his or her stomach, kidneys and bladder are visualised. The ultrasound confirmed that amniotic fluid is normal and that everything is where it should be.

While our background risk, based on my age, was already negative my adjusted risk was into the 1:20,00-150,000 over the three; trisomy 21 (down syndrome) 18, and 13 (which are typically "incompatible with life"). At this point there are no fetal abnormalities or real risk of a chromosome condition and I was given a negative result with which we will not be pursuing additional screening other than the 18 week standard ultrasound.

One healthy, growing strong, little baby. We are so blessed.

xo, Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment