WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by! Here I wrote openly about my life as a mommy to our miracle daughter Lilly, the struggles we went through on this journey to parenthood, the loss of our precious son and pretty much anything else that comes up. Feel free to look around, leave a comment or two, put your feet up and get comfortable :)

xo, Anne.

Monday, April 16, 2018

A Normal Uterus

Last Monday Dylan and I arrived at the hospital in the bleary early hours of the day to start the admitting process prior to my surgery later that morning, I wasn't anxious but I was restless and ready to be home with my daughter.

My fertility doctor would be performing a hysteroscopy to remove my uterine septum with a laparoscopy to get a clear visual on my fallopian tubes (as other tests couldn't confirm if there had been any damage from my ectopic pregnancy in 2010). The laparoscopy would also give him the advantage of a camera watching the top of my uterus while he removed the septum.

During my pre-op assessment the nurse recommended that I warn the anesthesiologist if I have had any reactions to anesthetic, which I have gotten nauseous in the past so I made sure to do that as the team prepped me in the operating room. I thought it was interesting that they numbed the section of my arm to insert the IV, because it honestly hurt just as much as inserting an IV had previously but maybe that had to do with location? I've usually had IVs in my hand and this was below my elbow on the inside of my arm. Anyways it wasn't long after the IV was in that I was covered with warm blankets and nodding off to sleep.

When I woke up in recovery my surgeon had been able to stop by and give me an update between his other surgeries; he told me that the surgery was very successful and that he believed he had been able to give me a normal uterine cavity and furthermore giving me the likelihood of a good outcome when I am able to get pregnant. He also told me that the septum in my uterus was not only very thick, as he had suspected from my SHG procedure but that it also extended from the top of my uterus all the way down to my cervix.  This large septum was dividing my uterus in half and because the septum doesn't have a proper blood supply if an embryo tried to implant on the septum it would likely miscarry. That was on top of the risks of placental abruption and still birth due to the severe restrictions from the septum. I am in absolute disbelief that it was that bad.

I continued to doze as I was monitored in recovery and then moved back into the surgical unit but when I woke up I was incredibly nauseated and very sore, trying to drink water only exacerbated the nausea and I threw up violently. The wonderful nurses gave me some anti-nausea medication through my IV and I tried to doze a bit more before I was eventually on my way home.

Talk to you soon, Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment